Become a Police Officer
Deer & Tick Management
Emergency Preparedness Form
Police News Archive
Sign up for Shelter Island CodeRED Notifications
Town Employees Email
SIPD marine division
Bay constables shall patrol the waters surrounding the Town of Shelter Island primarily to enforce federal, state and local ordinances, preserve the peace, protect life and perform other related work in accordance with laws, rules, regulations and operational policies and procedures of the Shelter Island Police Department. Other activities include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Operate patrol boats or other vehicles to enforce laws regulating hunting, fishing, shellfishing and boating,
2. Install and maintain channel buoys, dock and bulkhead lights and navigation signs or signals relating to waterway regulations;
3. Investigate reports of boating accidents, drowning, hazards to navigation and other waterway activities and render assistance and first aid;
4. Inspect seeding beds and polluted areas for illegal fishing and shellfishing; check permits of fishermen and shellfishers; issue warnings and summonses to violators; make summary arrests when required;
5. Maintain town anchorage areas;
6. Check harbors, creeks, and bays following storms or hurricanes and submit reports on silting or water erosion and other physical damage to town authorities;
7. Perform all other related duties as directed by a supervisor.
8. Shall abide by all the duties of a Police Officer that pertain to this position.
The Dering Harbor Shellfish Program is OPEN
You can check the status by calling the Town's Shellfish Hotline at 631-740-0400 (Option 9 then Option 7.)
Marine-related emergencies can be reported via 911 or Marine VHF Channel 16.
Please give your position and the nature of the emergency as well as persons on board and if they currently have a life-threatening emergency.