38 N. Ferry Road
PO Box 970
Shelter Island, NY 11964
Tel: (631) 749-0758
short term vacation rentals
Short Term Vacation Rentals must be licensed. You can file your license application at:
Shelter Island Town Hall, 38 N. Ferry Road, PO Box 970, Shelter Island, NY 11964 or email email@example.com
WHO MUST GET A LICENSE?
- Homeowners who will not be living on the same or adjacent premises during the entire rental term and wish to rent their homes for periods of 14 days or less, must register with the Town.
WHO DOES NOT HAVE TO GET A LICENSE?
- Homeowners, who only rent for a period greater than 14 days.
- Homeowners, who will be living on the same or adjacent premises during the entire rental term.
- Homes located in B-Business zone.
- Legally operating hotels/motels/bed-and-breakfast establishments.
- Houses owned by The Nature Conservancy – Mashomack, Sylvester Manor or the Town owned Taylors Island house which are occasionally used by tenants for a particular fundraising event or prize.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO OBTAIN A LICENSE?
- File a complete application and pay an annual license fee.
- The property must have a valid certificate of occupancy or compliance.
- The rental must comply with Town building and zoning codes.
- No more than one vacation rental per property.
- Bedrooms shall not exceed the number indicated on file in the building department and the rental cannot exceed more than two persons per bedroom.
WHEN DO I HAVE TO GET THE LICENSE?
- Licenses must be obtained by July 1, 2017
- For 2017 only, if an owner shows proof that a rental that does not comply with this law was signed prior to April 21, 2017, that rental may be honored.
- Short Term Rental License Application with Self Inspection Certification
- Good Neighbor Brochure
- Short Term Rental Complaint Form
- Vacation Rental Law adopted 4/21/17
If there are problems with noise or other disturbances, please call the Police Department at 631-749-0600.
The Owner of a Short Term Vacation Rental must give you his phone number. If you need the phone number of a Vacation Rental Manager or Owner, contact the Vacation Rental office between 8 and 3 weekdays. On the weekends, you can send an email request for the info to firstname.lastname@example.org and you will get a response the next weekday.